PrestonFM

PrestonFM
Your Community Radio

Sunday 13 June 2010

A riverside residence.


The picture above is The River Ribble and I was standing on the old footbridge when taking this photo.
The Ribble is an important river and has helped to make Preston with its growth throughout the years.
We were off to the Preston Mela, a celebration of Asian culture here in the North West and a fantastic festival. Excellent food and excellent folk.

We turned to continue over the bridge and was confronted with the image below.



Judging by the looks of things this person has stayed here a while. We wondered where they may have been now and what they were doing, did they have a full belly or has life dealt them such cards as to lie somewhere fueling an internal struggle with alcohol or drugs.
Lizzie always tries to give something to these folk she sees, I sometimes think it may not be the right thing to do, but I know until there is a viable alternative, we may be forced to. With the government wielding a huge axe cutting budgets and changing folks lives, as if we were being punished for not voting for them in the past I really do fear for these folk myself.
Many I have met have had problems, unable to get on at school, a chalenging childhood, a breakdown or rejection. Many have some sort of difficulty within, some cannot read or write, some have mental illnesses and some lost all hope.
If we are able to help these folk through these times then help we should. I myself had been in such a place for a short while. It takes a long time to climb back. I was lucky and had been given a break and was able too to see what it meant. I was also lucky to have met Lizzie. Very lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment on this blog. All comments will be Moderated to fit with Offcom Regulations and PRESTONFM guidelines. Anything offensive, racist or intimidating will not be published and may be reported.
All comments will be read, some may be responded to.